Skip to main content

LUCY LOCKET


emita.hill@gmail.com

LUCY LOCKET 

I first posted this in 2019.  Was going to write a new blog for this year but the only changes I'll make are to say that today she would be not 124 but 128. A woman of many parts. Her progeny is numerous and scattered across this nation and onto other continents, all of them interesting men and women with four generations now for whom she would be the great great grandmother.
 
Born in 1895 in Chicago, Lucy was the youngest of four with two older sisters and a brother.

Every summer when I am in Michigan in my cottage on her lake, Long Lake, where her family traveled by train from Chicago before 1900 when she was an infant, my brain floods with memories of Lucy “Locket” Jewett, and of her many passions and predilections and peculiarities, all of which shaped me and my life and that of my four sisters for better or worse.

Like her I was the youngest, and in my case it was by a decade and more, so that she was aging as I grew into my teens. The Cold War and the shadow of Chinese and Russian communism weighed heavily on her.

In her younger days she had loved foreign travel, once taking four little girls (I wasn’t born) to Paris and to Switzerland, a country she always loved.  Later, when those four were off at college or married, she took me to London, Paris, and again to her beloved Switzerland where we stayed in little inns in Zermatt and Innsbruck and Interlochen. She spoke enthusiastically of the One World Federation movement that coincided with the formation of the United Nations. 

She encouraged me to join Pen Pals and exchange letters with teenagers in France, Turkey, Scotland and Norway, a wonderful experience. One correspondence led to a lifetime two-generation friendship.

Alas, as her fear of communism was fanned by McCarthyism, John Birchers and others—fanatics whose paranoia is surging again today—she backtracked on all of that.  The bumper of her car was adorned with the “Get the US out of the UN” sticker and others of like sentiment.

But today I want to remember and celebrate that younger woman who took her babies to Europe and who taught all of us to ride horseback and swim and canoe and row and fish and turtle and above all to read books and listen to music and enjoy theater and learn languages. 

Thanks to her we all loved dogs and often raised and trained poodles, and that has continued for three generations.  Thanks to her two of her daughters and one of her granddaughters has also kept horses. Thanks to her the beauty and joy of Long Lake are shared by many of us summer after summer. We come together there as a family from many corners of the globe.

She started it all. Different ones of us succeeded differently, followed different paths, but these were her values and what she tried to transmit.  Thank you, mother.  Thank you, Lucy Locket.  128 years old today.  I salute you and all your progeny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dos manos in Matamoros

Dos manos      Before the trip to Brownsville, Texas, to help prepare and serve food to asylum seekers held in the tent city across the river in Matamoros, Mexico, Marti told us to bring fanny packs or other bags that would leave our hands free. Whether chopping vegetables or serving from the trays of hot food to the 1,000+ men, women, and children of every age, we would need both our hands , dos manos , at all times. How did we come to be there and why were we doing this? Hunger and homelessness exist inside our nation’s borders, both in cities and rural areas. Tightrope, the new book by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, describes families shattered by what the authors call “death by despair.” Donating to good causes and volunteering at soup kitchens are not uncommon, and churches and other organizations strive to meet the need on a daily basis. Still, the need that drew a dozen women in their 60s, 70s and 80s to this community just across the Texas border was on a di

Sailing and Bailing

  Messing around in boats Seems like this summer that means bailing rather than sailing, three little boats awash with rain water needing emptying over and over, a repetitive domestic chore like folding laundry or emptying the dishwasher.   Decades ago I delegated bailing boats to my three kids; decades later to my two resident grandsons.   Bribes in those days were easy, homemade cookies warm from the oven or maybe a trip to Moomers for the ice cream President Biden enjoyed on his visit last week. I used to dislike bailing.   I also disliked emptying dishwashers.   I was happy to fill the dishwasher as a way of cleaning up the kitchen surfaces, but I always got the children or someone else to do the emptying, just as I got children to bail the boats. Oddly, now, I enjoy sitting in the dinghy or in one or the other of the two sunfish and dipping the bucket over and over into the accumulated rain and emptying it into the lake.   Much of my life in retirement now consists of ordina

CHAPTER TWO OF THE ADVENTURES OF BRIOCHE

  THE ADVENTURES OF BRIOCHE: CHAPTER TWO   In this sad and difficult year of deaths and distancing, rescue shelters across the country have emptied and breeders had more demand than they could supply for canine or feline companions to help deal with the unprecedented isolation and losses. Brioche was born in July and yes, I decided last spring to seek out a puppy to accompany me in this year of the quarantine and then, most likely, for the rest of my life. A mere 3 pounds when she joined me in September not quite yet 8 weeks old, Brioche now weighs in at a whopping 8 lbs. and has reached the advanced age of 7 months.  Although I was raised in a family with many dogs and always had a dog (and sometimes a litter of puppies) while I was raising my own children, once my nest was empty and work was fulltime and often required lots of travel, I gave up on living with a dog and for many years starting in the late 80s had cats instead. But now after a hiatus of almost 40 years, this pood