Skip to main content

Sailing and Bailing

 

Messing around in boats



Seems like this summer that means bailing rather than sailing, three little boats awash with rain water needing emptying over and over, a repetitive domestic chore like folding laundry or emptying the dishwasher.  Decades ago I delegated bailing boats to my three kids; decades later to my two resident grandsons.  Bribes in those days were easy, homemade cookies warm from the oven or maybe a trip to Moomers for the ice cream President Biden enjoyed on his visit last week.

I used to dislike bailing.  I also disliked emptying dishwashers.  I was happy to fill the dishwasher as a way of cleaning up the kitchen surfaces, but I always got the children or someone else to do the emptying, just as I got children to bail the boats.



Oddly, now, I enjoy sitting in the dinghy or in one or the other of the two sunfish and dipping the bucket over and over into the accumulated rain and emptying it into the lake.  Much of my life in retirement now consists of ordinary repetitive domestic chores that I used to relegate to other people or, if unable to avoid them, to cram them into the early hour of the morning before heading to work. Laundry, dishes, meal prepping, groceries, dry-cleaners, post office, any and all of these could be dealt with quickly and before the “real” day of work began.   No longer.  When I contemplate at day’s end what I’ve done throughout my waking hours much/most of it consists of those simple and curiously satisfying tasks. 

To be honest, however, all of these tasks combined still occupy less time than I spend reading or frittering away at the computer with email and facebook.  It’s summer and I’m in my cottage by the lake so by choice there is no newspaper except the local one with its very limited news and no TV. That allows a lot more time for reading and also for just sitting by the beach looking at the lake, watching mama duck with her babies,


watching and listening for loons, seeing the occasional boat pass, fast ones pulling tubers or skiers and the stately pontoons with their sedentary passengers surveying in their turn this peaceful lake scene that their presence disturbs.  I am happy when they hand in their rental boat and go home. 

It’s a red-letter day when the baking urge takes over, often for no good reason, no guests anticipated that day or the next, just that urge to get your hands into dough and the dough—whatever kind—into the oven, and to fill the house with that best of all perfumes, bread or pies or cookies baking and later filling the refrigerator or even the freezer until family or friends come to share in the ultimate pleasure of consuming them.  The two grandsons who used to summer with me for a decade or more know all my hiding places because I never set out all the cookies at once, a batch going directly into the easily accessible cookie jar,


but others disappearing into a variety of containers that no one except those boys and their mom would discover.  And also, of course, into the freezer.



This year my constant companion while the two-footed friends and family come and go is Brioche, my shadow by day and by night, my companion on land and at sea, already at ease in the dinghy and the canoe although not yet the sunfish, mostly because I also haven’t taken out the sunfish yet or even sat in it except to bail it yet once more. She sleeps contentedly while I read or sit at the computer but leaps up the moment I stand up, her clear and constant message, “Don’t leave me.  Whatever you are doing, take me with you.” And I do.



 

Comments

  1. Thank you for keeping us in your circle with you summer updates and stories. Brioche certainly proclaims approval.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful... thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dos manos in Matamoros

Dos manos      Before the trip to Brownsville, Texas, to help prepare and serve food to asylum seekers held in the tent city across the river in Matamoros, Mexico, Marti told us to bring fanny packs or other bags that would leave our hands free. Whether chopping vegetables or serving from the trays of hot food to the 1,000+ men, women, and children of every age, we would need both our hands , dos manos , at all times. How did we come to be there and why were we doing this? Hunger and homelessness exist inside our nation’s borders, both in cities and rural areas. Tightrope, the new book by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, describes families shattered by what the authors call “death by despair.” Donating to good causes and volunteering at soup kitchens are not uncommon, and churches and other organizations strive to meet the need on a daily basis. Still, the need that drew a dozen women in their 60s, 70s and 80s to this community just across the Texas border was on a di

CHAPTER TWO OF THE ADVENTURES OF BRIOCHE

  THE ADVENTURES OF BRIOCHE: CHAPTER TWO   In this sad and difficult year of deaths and distancing, rescue shelters across the country have emptied and breeders had more demand than they could supply for canine or feline companions to help deal with the unprecedented isolation and losses. Brioche was born in July and yes, I decided last spring to seek out a puppy to accompany me in this year of the quarantine and then, most likely, for the rest of my life. A mere 3 pounds when she joined me in September not quite yet 8 weeks old, Brioche now weighs in at a whopping 8 lbs. and has reached the advanced age of 7 months.  Although I was raised in a family with many dogs and always had a dog (and sometimes a litter of puppies) while I was raising my own children, once my nest was empty and work was fulltime and often required lots of travel, I gave up on living with a dog and for many years starting in the late 80s had cats instead. But now after a hiatus of almost 40 years, this pood